We're getting ready to put on our first annual Gunstock Mountain Brew & BBQ here at the mountain, and we're stoked about unlimited beer samples, delicious barbeque, live music, beer and app pairings, and of course, riding our mountain coaster! But another aspect of this event that we're pumped about is the opportunity to give back to some non profit organizations that are particularly close to our heart. We've started collectively calling them The Friends of Gunstock. We have had people ask us, so who exactly are these "Friends of Gunstock" that are benefiting from this event? Well, we'll tell ya!
1. Lakes Region Disabled Sports: Lakes Region Disabled Sports (LRDS) is a non-profit program providing recreation and fitness for individuals with disabilities in a safe, supportive, independent, and fun environment at Gunstock Mountain Resort. LRDS aspires to promote understanding and acceptance without limitations or boundaries for individuals with disabilities. Their instructors and volunteers are trained to work with the diverse abilities of our students and love instilling a passion for winter sports. Each year they provide hundreds of lessons for individuals with physical, sensory, cognitive and learning challenges.
2. Gunstock Freestyle Academy: The Gunstock Freestyle Academy (GFA) is a non-profit seasonal coaching program for young individuals wanting to improve their freestyle skiing or riding skills. They offer intimate small group coaching while also working individually with each rider. They establish a plan for the season and work to help each athlete achieve their specific goals. Through professional analysis and proper coaching, combined with a positive and progressive learning environment, GFA leaves each rider satisfied with their progress, while ensuring they had a great time in the process. They help grow the sport of freestyle skiing and riding by nurturing enthusiasm and cultivating skill.
3. Gunstock Mountain Historic Preservation Society: GMHPS is a non-profit organization that works to preserve the historic ski jumps, buildings, trails and other structures at Gunstock Area and works dilligently to preserve artifacts and historical matters dealing with the ski industry in Belknap County and the creation and operation of Gunstock Area since its inception.
4. Gunstock Nordic Association: Gunstock Nordic Association (GNA) is a non-profit organization based at Gunstock Mountain Resort in Gilford, NH. Our mission is to promote Nordic skiing and ski jumping by providing quality coaching and top-notch facilities—all in a safe, respectful and encouraging environment. GNA has been the premier training organization in Central NH for jumping and cross-country skiing since 1937. Annually, GNA hosts local, state, and national competitions on their cross-country ski trails. GNA skiers compete in Nordic events throughout New England during the winter months, and many attend training camps at GNA and around the world during the summer and fall seasons.
5. Gunstock Ski Club: At Gunstock Ski Club (GSC), skiing is viewed as a life long sport. Their primary goal is to foster a love of skiing within athletes, and in the process, their athletes learn how to ski race. GSC is a USSA and NHARA sanctioned race-training program for athletes age 6 to 20. Training takes place out of their clubhouse facility at Gunstock Mountain Resort. GSC is a non-profit organization that derives its operating funds from training fees charged to participating families as well as through three major fundraising events. The club was established in 1918 as the Winnipesaukee Ski Club, and is one of the oldest organized ski clubs in New Hampshire. Members are from local communities, as well as all corners of New England. Going into their 100th year, GSC has a lot to celebrate.
Join us at the Gunstock Mountain Brew & BBQ for delicious local craft brews and one heck of a good time on August 25th & 26th to benefit the Friends of Gunstock. A nice cold beer is that much more satisfying when you know you're helping out your community. See you there, cheers!