Adventure Park Frequently Asked Questions
Where are you located?
Gunstock Mountain Resort is located in the beautiful Lakes Region of Central New Hampshire. Just up the hill from Lake Winnipesaukee at 719 Cherry Valley Road/ Rt. 11A Gilford, New Hampshire.
What is the Zip Tour?
Gunstock’s Zip Tour is a series of 5 ziplines. The first 2 zips are designed for training and adventure, and are located in the Base Area near our Welcome Center. You’ll travel to the top of Gunstock Mountain on the Panorama summit chairlift and descend back to the Base Area on a series of 3 ziplines. There are 2 side-by-side lines on each zip, so that you can travel alongside another member of your party.
How long are the ziplines?
The tour consists of 5 zips:
||Length of Line
||Height off Ground
What is a Segway?
It's a 2-wheeled, self-balancing personal transporter. To move forward or backward on the Segway®, the rider just leans slightly forward or backward. To turn left or right, the rider simply moves the LeanSteer® frame left or right. You get the sense of power and speed, yet you also feel a sense of safety and absolute control. It all feels natural, safe, and instinctive. Segway X2® is a durable off-road machine that is ready to navigate varied terrain with minimal environmental impact.
Where does the Segway tour go?
The Segway tour begins in the Base area. You will receive a safety briefing and training from one of our Segway Guides before you hit the trails. The Segway Guide will accompany you on the tour to ensure that you are operating the equipment properly and safely and guide you around the resort property. The guided tour heads around Gunstock's pond towards Cobble Mountain. You’ll traverse our cross country trails, gain a little knowledge on Gunstock and highlight points of interest. You could even spot some wildlife!
Will I need a helmet on the Segway?
Helmets will be required and are included in the tour cost. We use standard bicycle helmets. If you prefer to bring your own you may, but it will be subject to a pass/fail inspection by our guides.
What is Aerial Treetop Adventure?
Gunstock’s Aerial Treetop Adventure (ATA) is an obstacle course set in the forest next to Gunstock’s pond. The obstacles, or "games," are suspended between trees, and participants stay securely clipped into a safety cable throughout the course. The obstacles you will find during your adventure include ziplines, suspended bridges, scramble nets, swinging logs, and much more. The Adult course is split into 5 courses, each getting progressively more challenging and higher off the ground.
ATA offers 5 Adult courses (ages 12+, *must be able to reach 5’11’’ with fingertips when standing flat footed) begin with the easiest and lowest games 10’ to 15’ off the ground, leading to more challenging games and bigger elevations, upwards of 70’ off the ground. The Explorer ATA course (ages 6 – 11, *must be able to reach 4’-7” with fingertips when standing flat footed) and is 10’ to 15’ off the ground.
||# of Games
||Types of Games
||Level of Difficulty
||Ladders, zips, ropes
||Climbing wall, foot bridges, nets, suspended ladders, barrels, wagon, 80 ft zipline and optional Tarzan jump
||Ladders, bridges, swings, Japanese steps, barrels, wagon, 60 ft zipline
||Bridges, ropes and logs, beam, 70 ft zipline
||Ladders, nets, swings, seesaws, Tarzan jump, 65 and 125 ft ziplines
||Cable and log ladders, crossing net, foot bridges, u-ropes, suspended logs, 80 and 275 ft ziplines
||Difficult and more strenuous
||Logs ladder, labyrinth, suspended rings, foot bridges, cable mounted surfboard, pirate's rope, vertical logs, 3 ziplines from 180-200 ft
||Most difficult and strenuous
Do I need to make a reservation?
We highly recommend that you reserve your Premium Adventure in advance as there are a limited number of persons on each tour and tours can sell out on any given day. You can reserve by phone at 603-737-4388 or online. Our reservation line voice mail is always available and calls will be returned promptly during operational hours, however, leaving a message does not ensure a reservation. You will need to pay the full amount at reservation time. Reservations are not required for the Discover Adventure. Simply stop in fill out your Release of Liability, and our guides will get you harnessed and ready to go.
What time do I need to arrive?
It is imperative that you arrive at least a ½ hour* prior to your scheduled Premium Adventure. As the Premium Adventure can be sold out on any given day, it is important to arrive on time for the start of your adventure. If you arrive late and miss your tour, or cancel on the day of, there are no refunds. We will attempt to put you into a later time slot if available but there is no guarantee. Arriving on time allows for a relaxed start to your adventure. Factor in extra time for driving to Gunstock Mountain Resort, parking, getting to the Welcome Center, completing the necessary paperwork, visiting our retail store and making use of our facilities.
*Some events may require you to arrive earlier due to business volume. Please check the events calendar to plan accordingly.
What should I wear or bring on my Gunstock Adventure?
During the summer/warm weather seasons, you should prepare for being in the sun and on remote locations at the mountain:
- Wear comfortable clothing that allows free movement. If you are participating in the Zip Tour or ATA courses, shorts should reach mid-thigh or longer to allow for a comfortable fit of the safety harness.
- Shoes should be comfortable and flat soled, such as sneakers or hiking boots. Closed toe shoes are required. Closed heel shoes are recommended but must have a minimum of an adjustable secured heel strap for the Zip, Segway, and ATA Tours, as well as all Climbing features, Slackline, and Mountain Coaster. Crocs like shoes are NOT permitted. The Gunstock Mountain Resort Staff reserve the right to determine whether apparel and/or footwear are adequate for the chosen adventure.
- The Zip Tour is an outdoor adventure with points above the tree line. You may experience cooler temperatures and stronger winds at the higher elevations. You may want to dress in layers if you are zipping early or later in the day.
- ATA is an outdoor adventure in the woods and involves walking through the woods, climbing in trees, and handling climbing equipment. Please wear comfortable clothing that allows free movement, clothing you don’t mind getting dirty (pine pitch, bark, and dirt), clothing you don’t mind sustaining slight damage, ankle supporting boots or sneakers (no open-toe shoes or slip-on footwear).
- On the ATA, long hair has to be tied back, waists covered and body piercings and jewelry removed or taped over. You may want to bring a change of clothing for the journey home. Many of our guests find that wearing gloves helps with their grip and they bring their biking or weight training gloves. No helmets are required or distributed.
- Hydration for outdoor activities is important. Water bottles or hydration packs are permitted as long as they are secured and not impeding in the operation of the equipment. The Gunstock Mountain Resort Staff reserve the right to determine whether hydration gear is adequate for the chosen adventure.
- Outdoor and weather related provisions such as sunscreen, bug spray, rain gear, etc. are recommended
Are there any age, height or weight restrictions?
- Zip Tour participants must be 10 years of age, weigh between 50 and 260 lbs. and must be between 4’ and 6’8” tall. Guests between the ages of 10 and 15 (inclusive) must have a participating parent/guardian aged 18 or older on the tour.
- Segway participants must be at least 14 years of age, and weigh between 100 and 250 lbs. There are no height restrictions. Guests between the ages of 14 and 15 (inclusive) must have a participating parent/guardian aged 18 or older on the tour.
- ATA Participants on the Adult course need to be 12+ years of age. Weigh less than 250 lb. and able to reach 5' 11" with fingertips when standing flat footed.
- Children on the Explorer course should be 6 to 11 years of age and able to reach 4’ 7” with fingertips when standing flat footed.
- For more specific information on age, height, and weight restrictions, click here.
Can my son or daughter under 18 years of age go without a parent/guardian in the Adult ATA course with them?
- Ages 16 & 17-Yes: With a waiver signed on site from a parent/guardian, a child 16yrs or 17yrs old may participate without a parent/guardian in the course or supervising from the ground. It is recommended that a parent/guardian be present while participants are in the course, but not required.
- Ages 14 & 15-Yes: With a waiver signed on site from a parent/guardian, a child 14yrs or 15yrs old MUST have a parent/guardian either in the trees or supervising from the ground at all times.
- Ages12 & 13- No: A parent/guardian must sign a waiver on site and also be participating in the course with the child. If the parent/guardian cannot complete the course, the child must come down out of the course at that time as well.
The parent/guardian must accept responsibility for ensuring that any minors in his or her care complete the course in accordance with the specific safety rules and advice given by ATA guides.
What do I have to carry on the Zip Tour and for how long?
The Zip Tour Trolley is the primary piece of equipment you will be carrying and/ or suspended from throughout the duration of the tour. The Zip Tour Trolley weighs approximately 18 lbs. and, when not in use suspending you from the Zip Tour cable, will be carried by you in a backpack. The Zip Tour takes 1 – 2 hours to complete and you will be carrying/ wearing the backpack for the majority of the tour.
Do I have to be an athlete?
- Zip Tour: No, but you will need to be able to walk upwards of ½ - ¾ miles over the course of the tour and will need to climb 2 spiral staircases upwards of 50ft tall.
- ATA does require a degree of physical fitness, but if you can climb up a rope ladder, you should be fine. You can always catch your breath between obstacles.
Is there any paperwork to fill out?
All participants must complete a Release of Liability prior to beginning of any adventure. A signature from a parent/guardian or supervising adult is required on site for all participants under the age of 18. No Release of Liability will be accepted without parent/guardian or supervising adult present.
Can I bring my camera or video recorder?
- Zip Tour allows you to bring your camera or video recorder. However, you may not handle the equipment any time you are suspended on a zipline. The camera must be stowed away or secured safely and not interfere with the use of the ZipTour trolley or harness, and to eliminate the risk of dropping equipment with guests and/ or employees on the ground below.
- ATA also allows you to bring a camera into the trees. You just need a lanyard to make sure your camera is always attached. This is safer for everyone. We ask that you be courteous of other treetop dwellers by not taking too much time on platforms (only 3 allowed on a platform at any time) to take photos or video.
- Each Segway® has a travel pouch to carry your equipment. The tour will make stops to provide you with photo and video opportunities.
The Mountainside Outfitters retail shop offers GoPro® video cameras with helmet mounts and/ or chest harnesses for rent or purchase.
Are there any storage or changing facilities?
We have lockers available in 3 different sizes for rent in the Stone Cellar of the Main Lodge for any extra gear you need to store while you are in the trees. Small $5, Medium $7, and Large $10 and you may enter the locker as many times as you'd like during the day. Restrooms are available with a changing room for your convenience and privacy. We cannot be responsible for personal items left unattended.
How long does the tour take?
- The Zip Tour can take upwards of 1-2 hours to complete depending on the business volume.
- The Segway Tour is comprised of a demonstration of the Segway operation and about 30 to 45 minutes of hands-on driver training. This is followed by 45 minutes of pure fun as you transport yourself around Gunstock.
- Aerial Treetop Adventures is a personal experience and everyone will move through the courses at their own pace after successful completion of the training course (under the watchful eye of our Adventure Guides). Completing the ATA will typically take approximately 2 to 4 hours to complete.
Is the Zip Tour safe?
Safety is paramount at Gunstock Mountain Resort. Our trained Zip Tour staff will guide you through the safety protocol, teach you how to use the safety equipment, and help you feel comfortable and have fun throughout the adventure. That being said, the Zip Tour contains elements and activities that can be considered physically testing and/ or strenuous including but not limited to:
• Wearing a harness and carrying up to 18lbs of safety equipment
• Riding a chairlift
• Walking upwards of ½ - ¾ miles over the course of the tour.
• Climbing significant staircases and walking on elevated walkways.
• Using core and upper body strength to pull down on a handle for up to 2 minutes
Is the ATA safe?
Safety is paramount at Gunstock’s ATA. Our guide staff will talk you through, walk you through, and then observe you in our demonstration course to make sure you are capable of performing the moves you need to make it through the course safely. We will guide you through the safety protocol, teach you how to use the safety equipment, and make you feel comfortable in the fact that you will be safe throughout the adventure. That said, Gunstock’s ATA contains physically testing treetop adventure courses, which feature various ziplines and obstacles. There is inevitably a risk of injury when undertaking such activities. Participants will be responsible for attaching themselves to the safety system. If you do not attach yourself to the safety system you risk falling, which could result in a serious or fatal injury. However, the treetop course has been built to and operates under strict safety standards. Additionally, the course is inspected daily, monthly, and annually for adherence to these safety standards. All participants receive a safety briefing from a trained instructor at the start and have to wear a safety harness at all times.
Can I watch if I am not participating?
- Zip Tour: As a non-participating group member you will have a chance to watch your group complete the Demo and Training ziplines at the base of the mountain. You will also be able to watch the group members complete the last Pistol zipline which will cross over our pond. You are welcome to wait in the shaded area located near the last platform. You may also purchase a scenic chairlift ride to watch members of your group begin the Zip Tour at the summit.
- ATA: Spectators are more than welcome to watch friends and family zipline, swing and crawl, from tree to tree from the trails below along most of the courses. Signs and guides will point spectators away from restricted areas.
Is there a time limit to complete the ATA course?
No, you can go at your own pace and let people “pass” if you're taking a little more time with an obstacle, zipline, or section. If you want to reduce the chance of being held up by people in front of you, we recommend that you begin the course earlier in the morning, as there are usually fewer people in the trees. No participant may enter a new section any later than after the last guest is harnessed for the day.
Is there an instructor with you on the course ATA course?
You will receive a safety briefing and training from one of our Adventure Guides before you begin. Once you demonstrate the ability to use all of the safety equipment you have been given and observe all safety protocol, you will be directed to the start of the course. Once you are in the trees you will have Adventure Guides and Monitors on the ground. These folks are available to coach and cheer you on as needed (or desired) throughout your adventure. The guides are available to bring you down if you reach a point where you cannot continue and cannot reach an exit platform.
Please note: The Adventure Guides reserve the right to remove guests from any of the courses if safety equipment and/ or procedures are not followed. Refunds will not be issued for guests who are removed from the trees due to a safety concern.
What happens in bad weather?
Gunstock’s Adventure Park will not operate in weather conditions which indicate lightning may be in close proximity or in sustained winds in excess of 30 mph. Our staff will do their best to contact you if we have advanced notice of inclement weather and need to reschedule. If the weather is marginal, please call us for a status update. Do not assume we have cancelled the tour if you have bad weather where you are as we may have sunny skies!
ATA is an excellent wet weather activity but is even better when dry! The course remains open in all weather conditions, except when it is icy, stormy or during lightning. Rain makes the course slicker and the ground muddier than usual - which all adds to the fun and adventure for many people! However, since you are beneath the forest canopy, it is a lot drier than standing out in an open field. Whatever the case is, dress for the weather. You may want to bring a change of clothing for the journey home.
Sometimes, unfortunately, we might need to close the Adventure Park for reasons beyond our control and if you have already started the tour we will do our best to find alternative dates or times for you and your party to visit again. You will be issued a “Rain Check” to use prior to the end of the current season. Rain checks are transferable but are only valid for the adventure for which it is issued. Therefore, all participants must meet the age, height, and weight requirements of that adventure.
What is your cancellation policy?
You can cancel your Premium Adventure by calling the Welcome Center at 603-737-4388.
The policy reads:
- Cancellation 48 hours or more prior to Adventure- Full refund or reschedule
- Cancellation 47 hours or less prior to Adventure- Full value on a non-expiring gift card or reschedule
- No call for cancellation or no show- Loss of payment
- Please Note: Your reservation is not considered cancelled until you have verification from a Gunstock Mountain Adventure Park Associate.
Sometimes, unfortunately, we might need to close the Adventure Park for reasons beyond our control and if you have already started the tour we will do our best to find alternative dates or times for you and your party to visit again. You will be issued a “Rain Check” to use prior to the end of the current season. No refunds will be issued. Rain checks are transferable but are only valid for the adventure for which it is issued. Therefore, all participants must meet the age, height, and weight requirements of that adventure.
Can I do the course if I'm pregnant or have a pre-existing medical condition?
The staff at Gunstock Mountain Resort Adventure Park is not medically qualified and is not in a position to assess the capacity of participants with pre-existing medical conditions to ride the ziplines or undertake a treetop adventure course. It remains your responsibility to undertake such an assessment prior to taking the tour. We advise you to visit the resort prior to making your reservation. You may also wish to contact your doctor for further advice.
We recommend that pregnant women do not take part in the Zip Tour or undertake a treetop adventure course, however, we do not want to be discriminatory and ultimately the choice is yours. We are not medical experts and therefore suggest that you seek advice from your doctor on the matter. If you decide to proceed, you do so with the full knowledge that the Zip Tour may incur risks to an unborn child.
Can I bring my dog?
During the summer season, dogs are welcome at Gunstock Mountain Resort but must be supervised and remain on a leash at all times. You must clean up after your dog while on resort property. Dogs are not permitted on any chairlift, surface lift, under the ATA course or on the Segway tour.
What happens if I can’t complete the Premium Adventure?
- Zip Tour Incomplete Tour Policy: There are no refunds if you decide not to complete the Zip Tour. If you decide that the Zip Tour is not for you on the Demo or the Training Zip, you may switch to the Segway Tour if there is availability and you meet the requirements. If you decide not to continue after you load the Panorama Summit Chairlift, our staff will get you down safely by an alternative method but there will be no refund. Regardless, you will still be able to enjoy the Discover Adventure for the remainder of the day. No refunds, full or partial, will be issued.
- Segway Incomplete Tour Policy: There are no refunds if you decide not to complete the Segway Tour. If you decide that the Segway Tour is not for you before entering the Segway trails, you may switch to the Zip Tour if there is availability and you meet the requirements. If the Zip Tour is full or you chose not to do either Tour there will be no refund. Regardless, you will still be able to enjoy the Discover Adventure for the remainder of the day. No refunds, full or partial, will be issued.