Skip to Main Content
historic photo of three men riding a chairlift at Gunstock

Jade L. Wood

Proud to represent a new perspective as Belknap County’s new GAC Commissioner:

Jade L. Wood

Some of my earliest memories involve the sensation of my mother “skating”on skis while pulling my brother and I in a plastic toboggan sled, the smell of ski wax in our kitchen and the sheer exhilaration of my first encounter with the rope tow at Chestnut Ridge, a County-owned recreation area in Western New York, where I cut my teeth (and shredded my mittens) in the sport of skiing.

As a youngster, I learned to ski through my local recreation department’s program. For years I lugged my antiquated trade-ins on and off the bus, in fact, I actually skied on my grandfather’s skis for two seasons. To clarify, this was in western New York where although the snow is there, the elevation is not. Most of my friends had no idea how to ski because unlike here in Belknap county (where it’s just what all of the kids do). Consequently, I navigated uncharted territory that taught me almost everything I needed to know about life.

When I met my (now) husband, I enjoyed teaching him how to ski and as our life began together, ski areas became central to the celebration of everything good. Every New Year’s Day at Gunstock or Loon, Valentine’s Day at Stowe, our Stag and Doe party at Mount Snow, our honeymoon at Jackson Hole, anniversary at Whistler Blackcomb, the girl’s birthdays at Tremblant. The only ‘cruise’ we’ve ever taken has been a schuss down the fall line. 

Intertwined in my personal history of involvement with alpine life, I have enjoyed participating in the Kids Escaping Drugs Skiscape at Holimont NY, working with the adaptive program at Crotched Mountain NH, serving as a candidate patroller at Pat’s Peak and ultimately following the birth of my second daughter found my niche in the Snowsports industry as a certified ski instructor here in Gilford.

Throughout my tenure as an instructor at Gunstock I’ve had the pleasure of interfacing with dedicated staff throughout various departments. My daughters have participated in all manner of lessons and programs including outreach, development team, the Gunstock Race Club and even a few comedic yet nerve wracking years in the Meister Cup. I know what the customer experience is and have recent and relevant exposure to what it takes to go from the lot, to the lesson at this family mountain. That said, it was with great pride and enthusiasm that I began my first term as commissioner on October 27th 2021. My decision to apply for an appointment was guided by a calling to bring balance and perspective to the existing commission, as well as transparency and enhanced communication between the commission, the Belknap County delegation and ultimately the public. I fully intend to maintain visibility and welcome opportunities to connect with former co-workers, students and their families to grow Gunstock’s reputation as “New Hampshire’s family friendly resort”.